What are cookies?
Cookies are small text files which can be downloaded to your computer when browsing certain websites. These are tools that play an essential role in the provision of numerous information society services for the user. Among others, cookies enable a website to store and retrieve information as regards the users’ browsing habits or his/her computer and, depending on the information obtained, it can be used to recognise the user and improve the service offered..
Types of cookies
Depending on the organisation managing the domain from which cookies are sent and the data obtained processed, two types of cookies can be distinguished:
- Own cookies: are those cookies which are sent to the user’s terminal equipment from a computer or domain managed by the publisher itself and from which the service requested by the user is provided.
- Third-party cookies: are those cookies which are sent to the user’s terminal equipment from a computer or domain that is not managed by the editor, but by another entity that processes the data obtained through the cookies.
In the event that the cookies are installed from a computer or domain managed by the publisher itself but the information collected through same is managed by a third party, these cannot be considered as own cookies.
There is likewise a second classification according to the period of time these cookies remain stored in the client’s browser, which may be:
- Session cookies: are those cookies which are designed to collect and store data while the user accesses a website. These cookies are usually used to store information that is only interesting to keep for the provision of the service requested by the user on a single occasion (e.g., a list of products purchased).
- Persistent cookies: the data remains stored in the terminal and can be accessed and processed for a period defined by the cookie manager, which can range from a few minutes to several years.
Finally, there is another classification with five types of cookies depending on the purpose for which the data obtained are processed:
- Technical Cookies: are those cookies which allow the user to browse through a website, platform or application as well as the use of the different options or services existing therein such as, for example, controlling traffic and data communication, session identification, access parts of restricted access, remember the elements that make up an order, carry out the purchase process of an order, apply for registration or participation in an event, use security features while browsing, store content for dissemination of videos or sound or share content through social networks.
- Personalisation Cookies: are those cookies which allow the user to access the service with various predefined general functionalities based on a series of criteria in the user’s terminal such as, for example, the language, the type of browser through which the user accesses the service, the regional configuration from which the service is accessed etc.
- Analysis Cookies: are those cookies which allow the persons responsible for the website, to monitor and analyse the behaviour of users of the websites to which these are linked to. The information collected through this type of cookies is used to measure the activity of the websites, application or platform and to create browsing profiles of the users of such websites, applications and platforms, in order to introduce improvements based on the analysis of the usage data made by the users of the service.
- Advertising cookies: are those cookies which allow the management, as efficiently as possible, of advertising spaces.
- Behavioural advertising cookies: are those cookies which store information on user behaviour obtained through the continuous observation of his/her browsing habits, allowing the development of a specific profile to display advertising based thereon.
Disabling and deleting cookies
Users have the option of allowing, blocking or deleting cookies installed on his/her computer by configuring the browser options installed on his/her computer. By disabling cookies, some of the available services may no longer be operational. The steps to disable cookies are different for each browser, but can generally be performed through the Tools or Options menu. Users can also consult the browser’s Help menu where instructions can be found. The user may at any given moment choose which cookies he/she wants to function on this website.
Users can allow, block or delete cookies installed on his/her computer by configuring the options of the browser installed on his/her computer:
- Microsoft Internet Explorer or Microsoft Edge: http://windows.microsoft.com/es-es/windows-vista/Block-or-allow-cookies
- Mozilla Firefox: http://support.mozilla.org/es/kb/impedir-que-los-sitios-web-guarden-sus-preferencia
- Chrome: https://support.google.com/accounts/answer/61416?hl=es
- Safari: http://safari.helpmax.net/es/privacidad-y-seguridad/como-gestionar-las-cookies/
- Opera: http://help.opera.com/Linux/10.60/es-ES/cookies.html
Furthermore, users can also manage the storage of cookies in his/her browser through tools such as the following:
- Ghostery: www.ghostery.com/
- Your online choices: www.youronlinechoices.com/es/
Acceptance of Cookies Policy
Given this information it is possible to carry out the following actions:
- Accept cookies. This notice will not be shown again when accessing any page of the website during the current session.
- Close. The warning is hidden on this page.
- Modify your settings. You can obtain more information as regards what cookies are, learn about the Cookies Policy of www.extrual.com and modify our browser settings.